OVER 1.6 MILLION PAGEVIEWS SERVED

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Matt Smith Wants Craig from "The Lodger" to be Regular DOCTOR WHO Companion


You would think Craig's son Stormageddon Alfie would be a better companion, but whatever.

While in New York for the United States' premiere of Doctor Who Series Seven, star Matt Smith spoke with Forbes (Forbes?) about the series and his preferred companion for the Doctor.  "I really like James Corden, (who plays the character) Craig Owens.  I’d love him to be a regular.  James is on to Hollywood stardom, I’m afraid.  There’s no way we’d be able to get him." 

Craig debuted in the 2010 episode "The Lodger" and returned last year for "Closing Time," which featured the Cybermen.  On the related subject of male companions not being as popular with fans, Smith remarked, "I don’t see why it makes any difference, but I kind of think people want to tune in to see Doctor and Hot Chick."

Smith was also asked about the show's upcoming 50th anniversary.  "I feel very pleased and privileged to be a part of that year because it’s the biggest year in the show’s history," he said.  "It’s his birthday, so it’s my birthday."  He suggested that the episode may not be in the traditional format.  "It won’t just be a televised event, I think it will be a live event.  The way it’s transmitted on TV will hopefully be an inventive thing, something different."

On the show's future, Smith offered up a few thoughts about how it evolves over the years.  "If you look at the history and heritage of the show, it’s always changed significantly.  It could never be predictable.  It’s got to feel like it’s marking new territory every season…There’s a certain number of Doctors you can have.  I believe it will be twelve regenerations and thirteen Doctors and they’ll have to invent something then to keep it going, because why would we want to stop making it?…It’s a show that isn’t afraid of change, and I embrace that ultimately."

No comments:

Post a Comment