The great news site io9 has the rundown of the next five Marvel Comics Universe movie adaptations coming down the pike after Joss Whedon's The Avengers arrives in theaters on May 4, 2012. Relaying information found in the Avengers feature in this week's edition of Entertainment Weekly magazine, io9 lists the following five movies...
- Iron Man 3 -- IMDb has the film's release date of May 3, 2013, almost a year to the day of The Avengers. Shane Black is slated to direct but will Robert Downey, Jr. jump right into filming for IM3 after finishing up The Avengers or film some other movie between them?
- Thor 2 -- IMDb has this film's date as July 26, 2013, setting up another big Marvel superhero movie summer. Patty Jenkins is reportedly in talks to direct.
- Ant-Man -- This long-gestating project is currently slated for 2014 and still has Edgar Wright of Shaun of the Dead and Scott Pilgrim Vs The World fame attached as director. According to Kevin Feige, Marvel's President of Production, Wright has "developed an excellent draft recently" that he's been working on for months.
- Guardians of the Galaxy -- IMDb lists this movie as arriving in 2015, which would actually put it after the 2014 sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger that wasn't included on io9's list. The original Guardians of the Galaxy were a 31st Century team of Farscape-like aliens who are each the last of their kinds that band together to fight against an invading alien race known as the Badoon. According to Feige, "There's an opportunity to do a big space epic, which Thor sort of hints at, in the cosmic side of the [Marvel] universe."
- The Inhumans -- Already reported earlier this year, The Inhumans features a secluded society of superhumans who were experimented upon by the alien race known as the Kree, enemies of the Skrulls (who are rumored to be villains in The Avengers movie), and given abilities by the mutagenic Terrigen Mists. This movie, like Guardians of the Galaxy, would feature a large X-Men style ensemble cast.