OVER 1.6 MILLION PAGEVIEWS SERVED

Thursday, September 20, 2012

George R.R. Martin Wants to Write DOCTOR STRANGE, but Only If...


Man, Martin's epic fantasy saga "A Song of Ice and Fire" is never going to be completed, is it?

Speaking to MTV Geek at Worldcon 2012, novelist and screenwriter George R.R. Martin expressed his interest in writing comic books, specifically naming Marvel's Sorcerer Supreme, Doctor Strange, as the character he'd love to get his creative hands on.

Well, on one condition.  It turns out Martin would only agree to write Doctor Strange if there was an "iron-clad contract" that kept whatever he did to the character in place forever without another writer changing or erasing it at some point in the future.

Yeah, I don't see that happening either.  Here's what Martin had to say in the interview:

"If I were to write a Marvel comic, I don't know what my story angle would be.  The character I'd have the most fun writing would be Doctor Strange, who was always one of my -- the master of the mystic arts, he was always one of my favorites.  However, before I would ever do that, I would have to have my lawyers meet with Marvel's lawyers and work out an absolutely iron-clad contract that would say that whatever I did in the story would continue to be canon forever and would never be retconned, rebooted or reimagined out of the universe when some later writer decided to mess around with it.  Because I hate that, I always hated reboots and retcons and the fact that a new writer comes in and undoes what the previous writer did and brings dead characters back to life, kills new characters that maybe weren't intended to die.  It's the one thing I don't like about comics, so that drives me crazy.  But I did love Doctor Strange and if I was to write a Marvel character, him and his dimensions would be that.
 
"I'd separate him off, I wouldn't drag in the rest of the Marvel Universe or make him part of a team.  He doesn't really fit any of that stuff, he's a guy who hardly should be even known to the rest of the heroes, living on the edge of the Marvel Universe protecting the world and our dimension and plane from dangers and forces out there that the other characters like Spider-Man and The Avengers don't even dream exist, you know.  He's our wall against Cthulhu and the Great Old Ones and you know, the dread Dormammu, stuff like that. That's when Doctor Strange was at his best, when (Stan) Lee and (Steve) Ditko were doing him in just that manner."

If you'd like to see the interview segment, you can check it out below...


Get More: MTV Shows

No comments:

Post a Comment