OVER 1.6 MILLION PAGEVIEWS SERVED

Friday, December 17, 2010

Peter David Revisits Mystery Sandman Theater 3000


Well, I certainly didn't see this coming this morning.

Writer Peter David has been posting his old "But I Digress..." columns from Comics Buyer's Guide on his website PeterDavid.net for some time now and it seems he's gotten around to "Mystery Sandman Theater 3000" from CBG #1074, dated July 17, 1994.  This particular column tends to be a particular favorite of mine because I helped write it.

Back in the day, I was a huge fan of Comedy Central's classic TV series Mystery Science Theater 3000 and David was as well, so imagine my interest when he asked for submissions for a "Mystery Sandman Theater 3000," combining MST3K and DC Comics' series Sandman Mystery Theatre.  I had already been riffing on the "Titans Hunt" storyline running through DC's series The New Titans for the APA TitanTalk, so it was pretty much a no-brainer to alter things with a take on Neil Gaiman's Sandman.  And just for the hell of it, I even wrote a version of the MST3K theme using Sandman characters.

Peter David was kind to call me at home to let me know he was going to run my submission, an act made more impressive considering there were no fancy-shmancy Internets at the time to easily track down my phone number.  The wait for the actual issue of CBG to arrive in the mail was interminable, though, but I remember how good it felt to see some silly little thing I did on a whim in a major comics news publication.

So thank you once again, Peter, for letting me contribute to your terrific column and now for bringing back some wonderful memories of what seems at least two or three lifetimes ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment