OVER 1.6 MILLION PAGEVIEWS SERVED

Monday, January 18, 2016

Adam Driver Reprises Kylo Ren for SNL STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Sketch


What happens when Kylo Ren goes Undercover Boss at Starkiller Base?

That was the joke premise of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens sketch on last night's Saturday Night Live, hosted by star Adam Driver.  Reprising his role of the villainous Kylo Ren for the four-minute, forty-second sketch "Star Wars Undercover Boss: Starkiller Base," Driver was joined by SNL regulars Taran Killam, Bobby Moynihan, and Leslie Jones in a mashup of The Force Awakens and the CBS series Undercover Boss.  


The sketch opens at Starkiller Base, the planet-sized weapon of the First Order.  Kylo Ren is the group's commander and is described as going undercover among Base personnel as "Matt, a radar technician."

"You get so caught up in restoring the galaxy to its rightful state that you miss what's going on behind the scenes," explains Ren to the camera.  "I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks."

With hidden cameras in an employee common area, "Matt" engages his fellow Base personnel.  He sits down with Tim the 501st Legion Stormtrooper (Moynihan) and Zack, a First Order Lieutenant Colonel (Killam) and asks them if they like working at Starkiller Base and what they think of Kylo Ren.  "Do you guys believe when he says he's going to finish what Darth Vader started?"

"What exactly has he started?" asks the Stormtrooper.

"You know, I will say this for Kylo," remarks Zack, "I think he gets a bad rap.  Yeah, he's trying to accomplish something that's never been done in the history of the galaxy.  You know, rule everything?  That's impressive, I admire the guy."

"Yes!" Matt exclaims.  "Exactly!  Exactly!"

In the next scene, Ren is given the task by his supervisor (Jones) to rewire a calcinator. The task appears difficult for Ren to accomplish, incurring the anger of his supervisor.

"Okay, now can we rewire it, please," Ren's supervisor tells him, "so I can go have my muffin?  I haven't had my muffin yet, Matt!"

Matt returns to the common area and asks Zack and Tim if they've seen Kylo Ren's cross-hilt lightsaber.

"Yeah, man," replies Tim.  "That thing's weird looking."

"No, it's not, it's awesome," Ren counters testily.  Matt returns with Kylo Ren's lightsaber and activates it, holding it right up to Tim's face.  "Look at it up close!" Ren shouts.

"That thing looks dangerous, man, poorly made, a little kid made it."

"Then you don't have to look at it anymore!" Ren snaps, hurling the lightsaber across the room until it crashes into a wall.

"I'm 90% sure Matt is Kylo Ren," Zack tells the camera in a separate interview.

Zack tells Matt about his rough year after losing his son in the Stormtrooper program, which affects Ren.  He tells the camera, "Hearing that Zack lost his son really struck a nerve with me...especially since I'm the one who killed him."

Matt approaches Zack, saying that he ran into Kylo Ren in the bathroom.  Matt gives Zack a card from Ren, which says "After the rain comes the rainbow," with a note from Ren that reads "Sorry I killed your son!  :( -- Kylo"

Back in the common area, Matt, Zack and Tim are having lunch once again. "A buddy of mine saw Kylo Ren take his shirt off in the shower," Ren says.  "And he said Kylo Ren had an 8-pec.  Kylo Ren was shredded."

Tim snickers at the suggestion, remarking "What?  Your friend's a liar, man. Kylo Ren is a punk bitch.  That guy looks like he weighs thirty pounds soaking wet underneath that little black dress."

As Tim begins laughing, he suddenly starts choking uncontrollably.  "Oh, no...He's choking on food," Ren remarks dryly.  Ren raises his hand, using the Force to lift Tim up into the air. "I see what's in your mind," he says to Tim.  "It.  Is.  Stupid!"  All at once, Tim goes flying across the room into a nearby soda machine.

"Dude, Matt straight up sucks," Tim tells the camera privately.  

"I have a bombshell announcement to make, guys," Ren remarks to everyone in the common area.  "I'm not Matt.  I'm --"

"You're Kylo Ren," reply Zack and Tim.  "I knew when you threw me through the soda machine," remarks Tim.  "I knew from 'Hi, I'm Matt,'" says Zack.

"We really connected today," Ren says to Zack.  "I'm promoting you to Superior Officer."

"I had a blast today," Ren tells the camera, now fully garbed in his mask and hooded cloak. "I really learned a lot, and people are gonna love the new me."  As Kylo Ren walks away from the camera, we see the lifeless body of Zack slumped against the wall behind him.

If you'd like to check out the full sketch, you can view it below thanks to the official Saturday Night Live account on YouTube...

No comments:

Post a Comment