OVER 1.6 MILLION PAGEVIEWS SERVED

Thursday, January 30, 2014

X-MEN Producer Wants GAMBIT Movie Starring Channing Tatum


Poor Taylor Kitsch.

Back in ye olden days of 2009, before the film John Carter effectively killed his ability to star as a leading man, Kitsch appeared as one Remy "Gambit" LeBeau in the movie X-Men Origins: WolverineThe flick wasn't very well-received by X-Men fans, but they still hoped for a possible spinoff film starring their favorite Marvel Comics Cajun.

Well, according to a new report from Empire, X-Men producer Lauren Shuler Donner loves the idea, but has someone else in mind to star.  "I'm dying to do a Gambit movie with Channing Tatum," said Shuler Donner.  "That doesn't have to be a great big movie.  It's a thief in New Orleans, it's a whole different story.  He's on board, and I have to get the studio on board.  How can anyone resist Channing?  He's such a sweetheart."

Tatum's career certainly has more going for it at the moment than Kitsch's, after Jupiter Ascending, 21 Jump Street, Magic Mike and two high-profile appearances as Duke in the G.I. Joe movies.  During a press conference for White House Down last year, Tatum remarked, "I would like to play Gambit.  Gambit’s my favourite.  I’m from New Orleans, around that area.  My dad’s from New Orleans, and I like to do a Cajun accent.  I could do it for real."

"No knock on Taylor Kitsch, though," he continued, "’cause I actually like his Gambit, but I’ve always lived around Cajun people.  Gambit was always like the woman-loving, cigarette-smoking, drinking guy.  He was the punk rock of all the superheroes.  He’s a thief.  He kind of rode the line."

With a rising star like Tatum already in mind, that might make things easier for Shuler Donner to sell 20th Century Fox on the project.  Considering X-Men: Days of Future Past is set for release in May, X-Men: Apocalypse has already been slated for 2016, and another Wolverine movie is in the works, it's obvious that Fox still sees gold in them thar mutants.  But a solo X-Men character not played by Hugh Jackman?  Time will tell on that one...

No comments:

Post a Comment