OVER 1.6 MILLION PAGEVIEWS SERVED

Thursday, July 29, 2021

Jodie Whittaker & Showrunner Chris Chibnall Confirmed to Leave DOCTOR WHO in 2022

 
Well...here we go again...

The BBC News website has confirmed rumors that Jodie Whittaker will leave her role of the Thirteenth Doctor at the end of three Doctor Who specials in Autumn 2022, making her run five years since her debut replacing Peter Capaldi at the very end of "Twice Upon a Time" on Christmas Day, 2017. The 2022 Autumn Special will also be the last for series executive producer Chris Chibnall, with his replacement expected for the show's 60th anniversary in 2023.

According to the article, the upcoming Series 13 will only be six episodes instead of the expected eight, with the remaining two episodes now airing as specials, the first of which will be broadcast on New Year's Day 2022, with another later in spring 2022, followed by the Autumn Special.

"In 2017 I opened my glorious gift box of size 13 shoes," said Whittaker in a statement. "I could not have guessed the brilliant adventures, worlds and wonders I was to see in them. My heart is so full of love for this show, for the team who make it, for the fans who watch it and for what it has brought to my life.

"And I cannot thank Chris enough for entrusting me with his incredible stories. We knew that we wanted to ride this wave side by side, and pass on the baton together. So here we are, weeks away from wrapping on the best job I have ever had. I don't think I'll ever be able to express what this role has given me. I will carry the Doctor and the lessons I've learnt forever.

"I know change can be scary and none of us know what's out there. That's why we keep looking. Travel hopefully. The universe will surprise you. Constantly."

In his statement, Chibnall referenced a pact made with Whittaker, saying, "Jodie and I made a 'three series and out' pact with each other at the start of this once-in-a-lifetime blast. So now our shift is done, and we're handing back the TARDIS keys. Jodie's magnificent, iconic Doctor has exceeded all our high expectations. She's been the gold standard leading actor, shouldering the responsibility of being the first female Doctor with style, strength, warmth, generosity and humor."

He also added, "She captured the public imagination and continues to inspire adoration around the world, as well as from everyone on the production.  I can't imagine working with a more inspiring Doctor - so I'm not going to!"

No comments:

Post a Comment